The Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry (AdvDipTheolMin) builds on the Diploma in Theology by enabling students to deepen their understanding of the key theological disciplines of Biblical Studies and Christian Thought and History, and in Ministry. This is extended by further study in those disciplines and in the area of practical ministry studies. It may be possible for students to undertake study in a ministry setting as part of the course.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry:
- have significant foundational skills for critical study of Christian texts
- have skills to articulate and reflect upon foundational theological, scriptural knowledge and apply this to ministry practice
- have strong analytical skills allowing them to analyse and communicate sound theological arguments, especially in relation to ministry tasks or worldview perspectives
- apply their skills and knowledge to their own and other contexts and traditions through culturally relevant ministry practices
- apply their skills and knowledge to the service of others through practical engagement and in contexts such as practical support ministries or cultural and philosophical analysis.
Successful completion of Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), or the Diploma in Theology, or equivalent.
Prospective students apply by direct entry to a College of the University. The Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is not used in selection at the University of Divinity.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.
The Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 18 points in each of Old Testament, New Testament, Church History and Systematic Theology
- 36 additional points from Field B (Biblical Studies) and/or Field C (Christian Thought and History)
- a further 180 points.
Pre-2019 units of 15 points in volume will be counted as 18 points
for the purpose of course completion.
2 years – 8 years
Combined with Bachelor of Ministry
A candidate may undertake the Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry in combination with, or subsequent to, the Bachelor of Ministry at the University of Divinity. In such cases up to 144 points may be held in common to both awards. The minimum time for completion of both awards in four years.
Combined with Bachelor of Theology
A candidate may undertake the Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry in combination with, or subsequent to, the Bachelor of Theology at the University of Divinity. In such cases up to 144 points may be held in common to both awards. The minimum time for completion of both awards in four years.