The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy (AdvDipPhil) builds on the Diploma in Theology by enabling students to deepen their understanding through a specialised focus on Philosophy. It may be possible for students to undertake study in a ministry setting as part of the course.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Philosophy:
- have significant foundational skills for critical study of Christian texts.
- have skills to articulate and reflect upon foundational theological, scriptural and philosophical knowledge.
- have strong analytical skills allowing them to analyse and communicate sound theological and philosophical arguments, especially in relation to worldview perspectives.
- apply their skills and knowledge to their own and other contexts and traditions through philosophical analysis and argument.
- apply their skills and knowledge to the service of others through practical engagement and in contexts such as practical support ministries or cultural and philosophical analysis.
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy consists of 288 points, comprised of:
- 18 points of Old Testament (Field B)
- 18 points of New Testament (Field B)
- 18 points of Church History (Field C)
- 18 points of Systematic Theology (Field C)
- 36 additional points from Biblical Studies (Field B) and / or Christian Thought and History (Field C)
- 144 points of Philosophy (Field A)
- a further 36 points
A candidate may undertake the Advanced Diploma in Philosophy in combination with, or subsequent to, the Bachelor of Theology at the University of Divinity.
Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education in an Australian secondary school or the Diploma in Theology, or equivalent.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.
- Full-time: over 2 years
- Part-time: over 8 years
The 2024 Timetable will be available late October. Click here to view the 2024 timetable.
2024 Unit Fees
- $2,047 per 18-point unit
- FEE-HELP: This course is eligible for FEE-HELP
- Upfront Payment: If you are paying Upfront, via BPay or Credit Card, payment of fees is arranged at enrolment. An invoice will be emailed during the enrolment or reenrolment process