The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Meditation (GCTM) is designed for those seeking to learn the methods and skills of teaching meditation and meditative prayer in a variety of situations including primary and secondary schools, parishes, hospitals and other settings. The course includes the history and practice of meditation and lectio divina and provides an opportunity for students to reflect on their own spiritual gifts.
The GCTM is accredited by the Meditation Association of Australia. It fulfils the membership requirements for Meditation Australia. Please note that individual applicants for Meditation Australia membership must verify that they have completed a minimum of two years of personal meditation practice.
The GCTM is a recognised course for sponsored study by Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools (MACS). Sponsored Study Support is for 2 years: 2023 – 2024. Questions related to sponsorship should be directed to MACS.
In other dioceses, teachers should check with their local education office.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching Meditation:
- have knowledge of the practice of meditation and lectio divina in the Christian tradition;
- have knowledge of the relationship between spiritual and psychological factors, and methods for developing them as an integrated whole;
- have capacity to critically engage with the Christian prayer tradition in relation to the contemporary context including other spiritual traditions and scientific perspectives;
- apply and assess appropriate models of prayer and meditation in various pastoral contexts;
- apply and reflect on the communication skills required to lead meditation in a range of contexts.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
Part-time over 2 years.
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Meditation consists of 72 points comprised of:
Each unit is taught online intensively on Saturdays. Click here to view the 2023 GCTM timetable.
2022 Information Session
Fees and Payment Options
2023 Unit Fees
- $2,882 per 24-point unit
- Sponsorship: This is one of the courses for which it is possible to apply for sponsorship from MACS
- FEE-HELP: This course is eligible for FEE-HELP
- Upfront Payment: If you are paying Upfront, via BPay or Credit Card, payment of fees is arranged at enrolment. An invoice will be emailed during the enrolment or reenrolment process
- For further information: Contact Dr Christopher Morris, GCTM Coordinator.
- To enrol: Contact Dr Paul Sharkey, Postgraduate Coordinator.