The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education (GCTRE) prepares graduates to teach religious education. It provides graduates with knowledge of the disciplines, principles, practices and traditions that form the basis for religious education. It is designed specifically to meet the requirements of CECV Policy and it is one of the courses for which is is possible to apply for sponsorship from the Melbourne Archdiocesan Catholic Schools (MACS).
2023 Information Session for Teachers
Students complete the following four units (undertaking one unit per semester over two years):
- BS8602C Introducing the Bible (16 points)
- CT8605C In Dialogue with the Catholic Tradition: Foundational Theology for Teachers (16 points)
- CT9606C Being Followers of Christ: Sacramental and Moral Life (24 points)
- DR8600C Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Religious Education (16 points)
See the GCTRE timetable for the most up-to-date information.
2 years (part-time)
To Be Advised
- GCTRE is eligible by MACS, and can be used to satisfy accreditation requirements for teachers in Catholic Schools.
- Sponsored Study Support is for 2 years: 2023 – 2024.
- Questions related to accreditation should be directed to MACS.
2024 Unit Fees
- $2,115 for a 16-point unit
- $3,172 for a 24-point unit
- Sponsorship: This is one of the courses for which it is possible to apply for sponsorship from MACS
- Fee-Help: This course is eligible for FEE-HELP
- Upfront Payment: If you are paying Upfront, via BPay or Credit Card, payment of fees is arranged at enrolment. An invoice will be emailed during the enrolment or reenrolment process
How to Enrol
Contact Br Dr Paul Creevey FMS, GCTRE Coordinator indicating that you would like to enrol into the GCTRE or would like more information. An application pack will be emailed to you in early November.
You will need to complete the application form and provide the following to CTC:
- Proof of Citizenship (e.g. Birth Certificate or Passport)
- Academic/VCE transcripts
- Evidence of any Change of Name (if applicable)
- Sponsor Statement (if third party is contributing to your tuition fees)
- USI Number
- Digital Headshot (for student records/ID card)
How to Re-enrol
A re-enrolment form will be emailed to you (by the end of November), please complete the form and email it to it to Jenny Delahunt, Academic Records Office, as a word document.