The Master of Education and Theology (MEdTheol) is a coursework master’s degree that offers teachers an opportunity to complement and extend their previous learning in education and religious education. The course consists of a combination of required and elective units, with a high degree of flexibility in the choice of units.
- The course duration is three semesters of full-time study or equivalent part-time study (credit is available for a four-year teaching qualification and/or relevant postgraduate studies).
- The units for this course (see below) will be offered by both Catholic Theological College and Yarra Theological Union.
- This course is available to be completed fully online.
- In accordance with the College’s child-protection policy, all participants must hold either a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) or VIT registration, and must register at reception each day of attendance.
The Master of Education and Theology consists of 216 points comprised of:
- DR9663Y Leadership for Mission in a Catholic School
- 24 points in the discipline of Biblical Studies or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points that integrates education and theology or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis on a related theme, as approved by the Postgraduate Coordinator
- Further units at postgraduate level.
Provided that at least 96 points of Postgraduate Elective units are included.
- Students can undertake the units listed on the MEdTheol Timetable or units or units listed elsewhere on the 2024 Timetable.
- Lectures are conducted over two 2-day blocks 9.30am – 3.30pm (unless indicated otherwise); plus asynchronous learning activities in the students’ own time.
- For each unit students must choose one mode for each unit: Face-to-Face or Online Synchronous
- Sandhurst: To Be Advised
- Sale: St Francis Xavier College, 4 Beaconsfield Avenue, Beaconsfield
2024 Unit Fees
- $3,172 per 24-point unit
- FEE-HELP: This course is eligible for FEE-HELP
- Upfront Payment: If you are paying Upfront, via BPay or Credit Card, payment of fees is arranged at enrolment. An invoice will be emailed during the enrolment or reenrolment process
Applicants must have:
- an undergraduate degree
- have obtained a qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia
- have two years of full-time teaching experience or part-time equivalent
- The MEdTheol is a recognised course for sponsored study by Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools, Catholic Education Office Sale, and Catholic Education Office Sandhurst.
- Other teachers should contact their local Catholic Education Office.
- Full-time: in 3 semesters
- Part-time: over 4½ years