The Master of Education and Theology (MEdTheol) is a coursework master’s degree that offers teachers an opportunity to complement and extend their previous learning in education and religious education. The course consists of a combination of required and elective units, with a high degree of flexibility in the choice of units. The course duration is three semesters of full-time study or equivalent part-time study (credit is available for a four-year teaching qualification and/or relevant postgraduate studies).
In 2023, the units for this course (see the Course Structure below) will be offered by both Catholic Theological College and Yarra Theological Union.
From 2023 this course is available to be completed fully online.
In accordance with the College’s child-protection policy, all participants must hold either a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) or VIT registration, and must register at reception each day of attendance.
The MEdTheol is a recognised course for sponsored study by Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools, Catholic Education Office Sale, and Catholic Education Office Sandhurst.
Other teachers should contact their local Catholic Education Office.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Education and Theology:
- demonstrate advanced and integrated knowledge of educational and theological concepts which underpin the practice and mission of faith-based learning contexts
- critically analyse professional practice in faith-based learning contexts, informed by education and theological theory
- integrate insights from the dialogue between education and theology to generate and evaluate complex concepts in professional practice and further learning
- research and apply established theories to investigate, interpret and justify theoretical propositions and professional decisions in faith-based learning contexts.
Applicants must have:
- an undergraduate degree
- have obtained a qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia
- have two years of full-time teaching experience or part-time equivalent
The Master of Education and Theology consists of 216 points comprised of:
- DE9663Y / DR9663Y / DM9663Y Leadership for Mission in a Catholic School
- 24 points in the discipline of Biblical Studies or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points that integrates education and theology or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis on a related theme, as approved by the Postgraduate Coordinator
- Further units at postgraduate level.
Provided that at least 96 points of Postgraduate Elective units are included.
- Catherine McAuley College: 164 Barkly Street Bendigo
- St Francis Xavier College: 4 Beaconsfield Avenue, Officer
- Catholic Theological College: 278 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne
- Click here to view CTC’s 2023 MEdTheol Timetable.
- Click here to view YTU’s 2023 MEdTheol Timetable.
3 semesters – 4½ years
Fees and Payment Options
2023 Unit Fees
- $2,882 per 24-point unit
- Sponsorship: This is one of the courses for which it is possible to apply for sponsorship from MACS
- FEE-HELP: This course is eligible for FEE-HELP
- Upfront Payment: If you are paying Upfront, via BPay or Credit Card, payment of fees is arranged at enrolment. An invoice will be emailed during the enrolment or reenrolment process
Contact Dr Paul Sharkey, Postgraduate Coordinator